« BackNews: ADBA: Govt Needs To Untap Biogas Potential

ADBA: The UK Govt Needs To Untap The Potential Of Biogas

The Anaerobic Digestion and Bioresources Association (ADBA) has welcomed the government’s Biomass Strategy, but stated it needs to do more to untap the potential of biogas in the UK.

Earlier this month, the Department for Energy and Net Zero (DESNZ) revealed its plans to use biomass to achieve carbon neutrality. 

The Biomass Strategy proposes a cross-sectoral framework, prioritising biomass in challenging sectors, and keeping an eye on biomass availability. 

Chris Huhne, chairman of the ADBA, said the government’s decision to encourage biogas as part of the energy transition is welcomed by the organisation. 

However, he added: “More targeted support is needed to unlock the potential of key biogas feedstocks.”

Mr Huhne noted that manures, slurries and leftovers from agriculture provide the biggest areas of growth for biogas. However, these cannot be fully utilised without support from the government. 

The UK Biomass Strategy recognises that bioenergy generated more than one-tenth of total electricity supply last year.

However, the minister of state for energy, the Rt Hon Graham Stuart, said: “Its future potential is extraordinary.”

He stated that biomass can deliver low carbon energy, replace fossil fuels, and even generate negative emissions in the case of carbon capture. 

The strategy looks at some of the challenges the UK faces, such as securing a sustainable supply of biomass, in order to support the industry for the future.

ADBA recognised the document provides a “comprehensive roadmap” for how biomass can help the country achieve net zero status, which is crucial if the UK wants to meet its carbon goals.

The Environment Agency still intends to reduce carbon emissions by at least 45 per cent, offsetting the remaining 55 per cent over the next few years. This will also support the government’s plans to become a net zero nation by 2050.

Looking for a quote on pressure vacuum relief valves? Get in touch with us today to see how we can help.